THIS CONTEST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE AN INDUCEMENT TO PURCHASE INSURANCE. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED ONLY FOR RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES. YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ENTER UNLESS YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY (AND ARE OTHERWISE ELIGIBLE). VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR OTHERWISE RESTRICTED BY LAW. SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS.
- PROMOTION: AGA Service Company d/b/a Allianz Global Assistance (“AGA” or “Sponsor”), administrator of Allianz Travel Insurance℠-branded and other insurance and assistance products in the United States, is offering to eligible entrants though this promotional contest the chance for up to thirty (30) eligible student entrants to each win (1) $50 Amazon.com gift card (each, a “Finalist Prize”), and up to six (6) eligible students selected from those Finalist Prize winners to each also win one (1) $2,500 scholarship prize (each, a “Grand Prize”) (collectively, the “Prizes”), subject to the rules provided herein (“Official Rules”). To be eligible for this Contest, entrants (or their parent/legal guardian if they are a minor) must agree to these Official Rules. Entrants who are minors must have their parent’s/legal guardian’s permission to enter. By entering, entrants (or their parent/legal guardian if they are a minor) agree to comply with and be subject to these Official Rules. Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entrants.
- ELIGIBILITY: Open only to natural persons who are legal residents of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, who are at least 14 years of age at the time of application, and are students at a state-accredited high school or trade school, or an accredited university or college at time of entry. The following individuals are not eligible to enter or win a prize: employees, contractors, directors, and officers of Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies; the Sponsor’s agencies, distributors, wholesalers and retailers; and the Sponsor’s web design, advertising, fulfillment, legal, judging, administrative, and promotion agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment, and execution of this Contest (collectively, the foregoing are referred to as “Contest Parties”), and the immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such person (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Contest). Previous winners are not eligible.
- CONTEST PERIOD: Contest entry begins on October 10, 2016 at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“EST”) and ends on November 10, 2016 at 11:59:59 p.m. EST (the “Contest Entry Period”). Judging to determine the Finalists and Grand Prize Winners (each as defined below) begins on November 14, 2016 and ends on December 16, 2016 (the “Judging Period”). The Web Site server is the official clock for this Contest.
- ASSIGNMENT: Answer the question “What inspires you to travel abroad?” Entrant may answer in either of the following formats (choose only one option):
- Option 1: Create a 60-90 second video answering the above question (a “Video”). Videos must be 60-90 seconds in length. Videos must not exceed 90 seconds in length. Videos must not include any other individual other than the entrant. Follow Submission instructions below.
- Option 2: Write a 500-word essay answering the above question (an “Essay”). Essay must not exceed 500 words. Follow Submission instructions below.
- TO ENTER: Eligible students may enter by visiting www.scholartrips.org (the “Web Site”) during the Contest Entry Period and following the on-screen directions to provide and submit all required information as directed on the application page, including either uploading their Essay or their Video (each, an “Entry”). If entrant is a minor, entrant must have his or her parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to enter and must provide their parent/legal guardian’s email address. Approval by parent/legal guardian will be needed in order for an Entry to be valid and for prizes to be awarded.
- Restrictions: Limit of one (1) Entry per person throughout the Contest Entry Period. Each entrant submitting an Entry must use a unique email address (any Entries submitted using the same email address as used for a previous Entry will be deemed ineligible). By participating, entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules and all of the Sponsor’s decisions. All information submitted with Entries (including the Entry’s Video/Essay) must be in English. Only entrants who provide fully completed and legible/intelligible applications are eligible; incomplete or illegible/unintelligible Entries will be deemed ineligible.
- WINNER SELECTION: Entries will be judged by a panel of judges selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion (“Judges”) during the Judging Period based on the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”):
Criteria is subject to change without notice. Based on these criteria, as may be further explained on the Web Site, the Judges will choose from among eligible entrants up to thirty (30) Entries that will be declared the finalists, subject to final verification of eligibility by Sponsor (“Finalists”). Following selection of Finalists, the Judges will then select from the Finalists based upon the above Judging Criteria up to six (6) entrants (3 each from the high school student category and the college student category) to be “Grand Prize Winners,” subject to final verification of eligibility by Sponsor.
Finalists and Grand Prize Winners will be notified on or about December 16, 2016. Once verified as eligible, each Finalist will receive a Finalist Prize and each verified Grand Prize winner will receive a Grand Prize (see Section 7 below). Entrants agree that the Judges have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions are final and binding in all respects, including with respect to selection of Finalists and Grand Prize Winners.
- PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”): Subject to the restrictions in Section 8 and these Official Rules, the following Prizes will be awarded:
- Grand Prizes: Six (6) a $2,500.00 Grand Prizes will be awarded in the form of a check made out to each Grand Prize Winner (or their parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor).
- Finalist Prizes: Thirty (30) $50.00 Amazon e-Gift card will be awarded in the form of an electronic gift card sent to each Finalist, or their parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor.
TOTAL ARV OF ALL PRIZES: $16,500.00
Gift cards are subject to the restrictions, terms, and conditions set by the Issuer.
- PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: Prizes are non-transferable and no cash redemption or prize substitution permitted, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. No cash equivalent prize will be awarded. Each entrant may win no more than one (1) Finalist Prize and one (1) Grand Prize. If fewer eligible Entries are received than the number of Grand Prizes or Finalist Prizes available, the number of each such Grand Prizes or Finalist Prizes (as applicable) awarded shall be decreased in accordance with the number of eligible Entries received. If fewer than three (3) high school student category Entries or fewer than three (3) college student category Entries are received, the number of Grand Prizes allocated to that category may be reallocated to the other category if sufficient entries are received for the other category to accommodate such reallocation (if entries in both categories are insufficient, the number of Grand Prizes awarded will be decreased in accordance with the above). If any Prize, or any portion thereof, cannot be awarded for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute a prize in whole or in part with one of comparable or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on the Prizes, and Prize winners will be issued an IRS Form 1099 reporting the value of their Prize. All costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specifically provided herein are the responsibility of the winner.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION AND PRIZE CLAIM: The awarding of any Prize is contingent on full compliance with these Official Rules, including supplying all documentation as required by Sponsor herein. Any Prize won by an eligible entrant who is a minor will be awarded to minor’s parent or legal guardian, who must sign and return all required documents.The thirty (30) Finalists and six (6) Grand Prize winners will be notified on or about December 16, 2016 (Finalists by email and Grand Prize winners by traceable method of delivery) and, except where prohibited, will be required to verify their eligibility by completing, signing, and returning an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, an IRS Form W-9, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release (granting the use of the Grand Prize winner’s name, city/state, likeness, or photograph and/or video by Sponsor for advertising/publicity purposes, without further compensation) within ten (10) calendar days of attempted mail or email notification. If these forms are not completed, signed, returned, and received by Sponsor within those ten (10) days for any reason, such Prize will be forfeited and an alternate Prize winner may be selected, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Finalist Prizes will be sent to Finalists at the email addresses provided during registration within 4-6 weeks of verification of eligibility. Grand Prizes will be sent to Grand Prize Winners within 6-8 weeks after verification of eligibility is received.
Sponsor is not responsible for any change of mailing address, email address and/or telephone number of entrants. Sponsor shall have no liability for any notification or Prize that is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason, including entrant’s use of a spam filter. If any Prize notification or delivery is returned as undeliverable, that Prize will be forfeited. In the event of an entrant’s noncompliance with these Official Rules (including failure to return eligibility verification documentation as required above), or if any entrant’s Prize is unclaimed, such entrant’s Prize will be forfeited and may not be awarded to an alternative Entrant, in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, including without limitation, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest; OR if this Contest or any website associated therewith becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper processing of Entrants’ applications per these rules; OR the Contest is otherwise prevented from running as planned or intended by Sponsor, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who is responsible or who tampers with the entry process, and/or to cancel, modify, or terminate the Contest. The use of third-party software or website or automated application systems to participate is prohibited, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify applications made in such fashion. In the event of cancellation, Sponsor may, but is not obligated to, award the prizes in a random manner to be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The headings used herein are solely for convenience and shall in no way effect the interpretation or construction of these Official Rules. If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor, Non-Sponsors (as defined in section 16 below), or Contest Parties (collectively, “Releasees”) resulting from an entrant’s participation in, attempt to participate in the Contest, or download of any information in connection with participating in the Contest. Each entrant, and his or her parent or legal guardian if any such applicant is a minor, agrees to release and hold harmless such Releasees from and against any and all claims, actions and/or liability for any injuries or death, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in and/or entry into or application for the Contest or acceptance or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. No responsibility or liability is assumed by Releasees for any issues or malfunctions with the administration of the contest, both technical and non-technical, including, without limitation, those arising in connection with any of the following occurrences that may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; damage to any computer (software or hardware) resulting from participation in the Contest; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless, or Internet connectivity, or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts, or providers; garbled, jumbled, or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent to or received; theft or destruction of, tampering with, unauthorized access to, or alteration of applications and/or application information; lost, late, delayed, or intercepted email transmissions; applications that are late, lost, stolen, damaged, illegible, or unintelligible (or any combination thereof); technical problems, human error, or mail delivery delays; inaccessibility of the Web Site or any other website in whole or in part for any reason; any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in operation or transmission at any website; traffic congestion on the Internet or any website; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of the prize or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site and any other website in connection with the Contest is at user’s own risk. Releasees are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or any other losses of any kind that may be sustained to any person’s computer equipment in connection with the Contest, use of the Web Site or any other website, or the download of any information from the Web Site or any other website, or any other loss related to user’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any Prize. As a condition of entering, entrants (and entrants’ parent/legal guardian, if entrant is a minor) agree to release Releasees from any and all liability, loss, or damage incurred with respect to entrant’s participation in the Contest and the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any Prize.
- BINDING ARBITRATION: By entering, entrants (or such entrant’s parent/guardian if entrant is a minor) agree that any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to the Contest shall be settled by mandatory and binding arbitration in a location determined by the arbitrator as set forth herein (provided that such location is reasonably convenient for claimant), or at such other location as may be mutually agreed upon by the parties, in accordance with the then-current commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA Rules and Procedures”) then prevailing (or other mainstream arbitration rules if these are unavailable), and judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The arbitrator shall be selected pursuant to the AAA Rules and Procedures. The arbitrator shall apply Virginia law (without respect to its conflicts of law rules and principles) consistent with the Federal Arbitration Act and applicable statutes of limitations, and shall honor claims of privilege recognized at law. In the event that the claimant is able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, Sponsor (at its option exercised in its sole discretion) may choose to pay as much of the claimant’s filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive (or if Sponsor elects not to pay such cost, Sponsor will waive arbitration). If any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal (other than that claims will not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis), or otherwise conflicts with the rules and procedures established by the American Arbitration Association, then the balance of this arbitration provision shall remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, the portion that is deemed invalid, unenforceable or illegal is that claims will not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis, then the entirety of this arbitration provision shall be null and void, and neither claimant nor Sponsor shall be entitled to require arbitration of their dispute. Upon filing a demand for arbitration, all parties to such arbitration shall have the right of discovery, which discovery shall be completed within sixty days after the demand for arbitration is made, unless further extended by mutual agreement of the parties. THE ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES PURSUANT TO THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE IN THE ENTRANT’S INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN THE CLAIMS OF OTHER PERSONS OR PARTIES WHO MAY BE SIMILARLY SITUATED. DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO HAVE ANY CLAIM OR CONTROVERSY ARBITRATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES.BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY THROUGH BINDING ARBITRATION AS SET FORTH ABOVE, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANT’S REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO EVERY ENTRANT.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, either Party may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for equitable or other non-monetary relief against the other Party.
- PUBLICITY: Except in Tennessee, and where prohibited by law, by accepting a prize, winners (or winners’ parent/legal guardian, if winner is a minor) grant permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use their name and/or their child’s name, and address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or likeness, for advertising and/or publicity purposes, in any and all media (including posting on Web Site) now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without further notice to entrant, without further consent required, and without additional compensation. If entrant is selected as a winner of a Prize, entrant’s information may also be included in a publicly-available winner’s list.
- GOVERNING LAW & JURISDICTION: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, and any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in Section 12 of these Official Rules and/or for entering any judgment on an arbitration award, shall take place in the federal, state, and local courts located in the Commonwealth of Virginia, in Henrico County, Virginia. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. If any provision of these Official Rules is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck, and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.
- WINNERS LIST: For the names of the Grand Prize winners send an e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests must be received by January 14, 2017.
- SPONSOR: The sponsor of this Contest is AGA Service Company d/b/a Allianz Global Assistance, located at 9950 Mayland Drive, Richmond, VA 23233. “Submittable” is a registered service mark of Submishmash, LLC. “Amazon” is a registered trademark of Amazon Technologies, Inc. None of Submishmash, LLC or Amazon Technologies, Inc. (collectively, “Non-Sponsors”) are sponsors of this Contest. The Non-Sponsors are not affiliated with nor do they endorse, nor are they endorsed by, AGA Service Company. Marks not belonging to AGA Service Company are used without permission, and the Non-Sponsors have not authorized, approved, endorsed, or sponsored, and do not administer nor are otherwise associated with this advertisement or Contest, except for Submishmash, LLC by way of the Submittable Platform